Learn how to extract parts from imported CAD bodies for use in workflows.
- CAD bodies
nTopology supports multi-body parts and treats imported parts as collections of Bodies; even if the CAD Part only contains a single body. Therefore, downstream operations require identifying the specific CAD Body by creating a CAD Body Variable or converting it into an Implicit Body.
Start with an imported CAD part.
Extraction by manual selection on screen:
To extract CAD Faces:
- Single: Click on the face you want to extract
- Multiple: Hold SHIFT or CTRL and click on the faces you want to select
- R-click and choose the option "Create CAD Face Variable" or "Create CAD Face List Variable" if multiple selected
To extract CAD edges or vertices:
- Single: Click on the edge or vertex you want to extract
- Multiple: Hold SHIFT or CTRL and click on the edges or vertices you want to select
- R-click and choose the option "Create CAD Vertex Variable" or "Create CAD Edge Variable"
To create an Implicit Body or CAD Body:
- Single: Double click on the body (or just select a face on the same body if converting to Implicit)
- Multiple: Hold SHIFT or CTRL and double-click on the bodies you want (or just select a face on the same body if converting to Implicit)
- Implicit: R-click and choose the option "Convert CAD Body to Implicit Body" or "Convert CAD Bodies to Implicit Bodies"
- CAD: R-click and choose the option "Create CAD Body Variable" or "Create CAD Body List Variable"
Extraction by Properties:
1. Open up the Properties Panel for the Imported part
2. Expand the Bodies Properties until you reach the desired element. Drag it into the Notebook to create a block from it.
And that’s it! You’ve successfully extracted parts from your imported CAD Body to use in further workflows.
Are you still having issues? Contact the support team, and we’ll be happy to help!
Please sign in to leave a comment.